By Chris Kavan - 12/04/10 at 01:14 PM CT
While most men are too proud or stubborn to admit it, they do cry. It's not the end of the world to show emotion - crying does not make you weak, it makes you human. While men seem to be immune to many movies that make women bawl their eyes out, certain films seem to do the trick and here are the top picks:
1) The Dramatic Sports Story - I'm talking Brian's Song, Rudy, Field of Dreams and The Champ - guys are a sucker for a strong sports story that also has a heart. It helps that seeing men who play rough and tough can also break down and cry too.
2) War and Holocaust Dramas - Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Life is Beautiful, Grave of the Fireflies, The Pianist - I'm sure there are more, but nothing brings out the tears like the reality, often very brutal reality, that is war.
3) The Father-Son Bond - Field of Dreams and Life is beautiful can also be on this list along with A River Runs Through It. Big Fish is probably my favorite of this genre. When you can have a father and son connect, it brings home that whole emotional journey about how you never bond with your own father... and the cat's in the cradle with the silver spoon...
4) Kill An Animal - I'm talking Old Yeller, Marley and Me, Bambi, The Lion King (okay, animal/father) - whenever you kill an animal, especially man's best friend, you can expect some kind of tearing up. Maybe not full-on waterworks, but you've got to feel something!
5) The Epic Ending - I'm talking Return of the King - or Return of the Jedi - Gladiator, Rocky, The Wrestler - I'm sure you can think of many more. It's the end of the film, you've just been through a journey with this character and the emotional payoff is enough to make you smile and drip a few tears of happiness.
Finally, I have to add Up - a film that doesn't fit into any of the above genres in that I think the most emotional moment comes as the film is opening - the snapshots of a life lived and taken away. It's only about 10 minutes, but the impact it has sets the bar high.
Are you man enough to admit what films make you all teary-eyed and reaching for the Kleenex? Don't be ashamed, unless you're a robot or sociopath, it's only human.